Sunday, May 11, 2014

Online support for histamine intolerance

For those of us on Facebook, there are a few great groups I've come across that can be super helpful on the journey. Below is a quick summary. Keep in mind these groups are, for the most part, comprised of people (like me) who are not experts, rather, who are simply taking responsibility for their own health.

My favourite is the Low-Histamine + Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) Help group, as it's the closest to my current circumstance. It's created and moderated by Elizabeth Milo, a woman in Seattle, Washington. The members of this group are a great resource and are very supportive.

The Histamine Intolerance (Closed for Privacy) group is run by The Low Histamine Chef herself, Yasmina Ykelenstam. "Run by Yasmina Ykelenstam (The Low Histamine Chef), this group is open to all but is specifically geared to people with histamine intolerance, mast cell activation disorder, mastocytosis, as well as other histamine, mast cell and inflammatory related conditions.

Rather than take medications, most of us embrace natural means of controlling our symptoms, with a strong focus on a high nutrient, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory diet, meditation, stress relief and yoga."

Finally, Histamine Intolerance is a "Private group (by www.histamineintolerance.org.uk) for people suffering from Histamine Intolerance [...] This group has been created to serve as a world-wide platform for sufferers who are trying to, or have already identified this intolerance as a health issue. It is open to anyone who would like to share experiences, tips, recipes and discuss different issues they have in a friendly manner. Family members and friends of sufferers are also welcome to chip in with their experiences."

On a somewhat related note, I've been using the mySymptoms app to track my food intake and resulting symptoms. I like it so far and, if nothing else, it's got me taking better records. I find the "results" section/analysis a bit difficult to navigate, but I'm sure I'll get better at it eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment