Saturday, April 19, 2014

Third week on the autoimmune protocol (low histamine edition)


Food Diary (April 7-13, 2014)

Couple quick things first...
- If you're curious, here's week one and week two summaries.
- This week was a bit of a roller coaster. I had a pretty big set back on day 18 (see below for food diary and theories).
- I ate out a few times during this week. Although I did restrict to approved foods, I seemed to have some reactions (not always immediate, but with a day). I'm going to further limit such outings (sadly), as the food is too much out my control.
- I seemed extra hungry this week. I did a lot of night snacking, which isn't great, but ah well. It's perhaps in part because I'm settling into the diet and what "treats" I can muster. It's also good to remember I'm breastfeeding another human, so I do need a wee bit more than normal :-)
- My skin is currently *mostly* healed, but I still have a ways to go. I plan to see the autoimmune protocol (low histamine edition) until it's completely gone, then re-introduce new foods carefully.

DAY 15
7:30 - Roast beef, fennel, Brussels sprouts, shallots, garlic, EVOO, parsnips
12:45 - Lamb liver, apple, onion, coconut oil; coconut spread
16:00 - Apple
18:00 - Steak, cauliflower, broccoli, radishes, cilantro, fennel, EVOO, coconut oil
20:30 - Parsnip chips (minus the cinnamon); apple chips

DAY 16
8:35 - Ground lamb, beets, carrots, parsley, zucchini, red palm oil, garlic, apple
12:45 - Chicken thigh/legs, asparagus, leeks, zucchini, ginger, garlic, honey, red palm oil, dried figs
13:45 - Apple
17:50 - Beef strips, broccoli, red swiss chard, coconut oil, coconut aminos, garlic, dried figs
19:20 - Apple, coconut spread
20:45 - Raw celery, coconut mannacoconut spread

DAY 17
8:45 - Chicken strips (pre-cooked, but frozen), broccoli, shallots, zucchini, red palm oil, apple
12:00 - Steak, broccoli, carrots, onions (Note: This was lunch at a restaurant. I didn't seem to react afterwards.)
14:15 - Apple, apple chips
17:30 - Ground beef, shallots, fennel, sweet potato, cilantro, garlic, EVOO, parsnips
19:45 - Apple
21:15 - Carob "chocolate" (carob, coconut oil, honey), sweet potato chips

DAY 18
Note: This was a bad day - major flare up in the morning, which resulted in some broken skin, etc. My theories include the chicken I had for breakfast on day 17, which I bought frozen - but cooked - from the market. I won't be doing that again (frankly I don't know what I was thinking). Otherwise, I had eaten out recently, which could also be a factor.
8:45 - Ground beef*, spaghetti squash, broccoli, asparagus, garlic, coconut aminos, carob chocolate
12:15 - Beef strips, broccoli, coconut aminos, red swiss chard, garlic, carob chocolate
14:30 - Apple, coconut spread
18:00 - Haddock, coconut (oil, flour, milk, and shredded), red swiss chard, parsnip, EVOO, apple
20:00 - Apple
*I intended at one point to eliminate ground meat. But I can't do it. I love it.

The photos never do justice, but this was taken post-flare up (April 10, 2014). Keeping in mind, there's how it looks, and how it feels. It did not feel well this day.
DAY 19
9:10 - Ground beef, beets, carrots, basil, zucchini, garlic
10:30 - Apple
13:10 - Steak, zucchini, leeks, shallots, parsnips, garlic, dried figs
18:00 - Roast beef, zucchini, kholabri, radishes, shallots, garlic, EVOO, sweet potato, apple chips
20:45 - Carob chocolates (upside - found a chocolate alternative, downside - can't stop eating)

DAY 20
7:30 - Haddock, coconut (oil, flour, milk, and shredded), swiss chard, parsnips, EVOO
12:30 - Pork (garlic, lemon, etc.), mushrooms, onion, pineapple, zucchini (kids' birthday party)
14:45 - Apple
17:30 - Ground beef, beets, carrots, zucchini, basil, shallots, garlic, apple
21:00 - Kale chips (EVOO, salt)

DAY 21
8:45 - Steak, bok choy, parsley, beet greens, tallow, kholabri, ginger
12:00 - Beef, chimichurri sauce, olive oil, salad greens, cucumber (lunch at restaurant, mildly itchy immediately after meal)
14:00 - Apple
17:30 - Beef strips, fennel, sweet potato, shallots, garlic, basil, broccoli, apple, apple chips
21:00 - Low histamine brownies (a failed experiment - this recipe, swapping cocoa with carob, omitting vanilla, omitting cinnamon, swapping eggs with apple sauce - made for very apple saucy brownies)

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm just starting the same Paleo Approach Autoimmune/Low-Histamine diet that you're doing. I've been struggling with debilitating skin issues for about 2 years now and have tried pretty much everything.
    My skin issues first appeared after I had been eating a paleo diet for about a year. I used strong steroids for the past two years and completely stopped using them in January 2014 because they were ruining my skin even more. I'm still struggling A LOT and am praying that the Autoimmune/Low-Histamine diet works!

    Two nights ago I had a crazy reaction to leftover duck soup that we had made two days prior. I had eaten it without any reactions on the first & second nights but last night my skin exploded right after eating it. It was the only thing that I had eaten that whole day, so I suspected it might have been a reaction to built-up histamines in the meat. Then this morning, I scrambled two eggs--mostly yolks, but left a little bit of white in just so it was more substantial & filling--and my skin exploded about 10 minutes after eating it! Feels like a sure sign that it's histamine-related to me.

    I had a question about meat.... I've read that cooked meat builds in histamines as it sits in the fridge. I've also read the uncooked meat does the same but at a much slower rate. How long do you let your uncooked meat sit in the fridge before cooking it? Do you keep it frozen until the day that you cook it? What's your approach?

    Thanks so much! I hope you're finding relief!

    http://itchyskinjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey - Glad to hear from you. I hope you find some relief on AIP/LH. The leftover meat thing is huge - as your duck soup example seems to suggest. I've used to be far more cautious of leftover cooked meat than attentive to fresh meat uncooked, but lately have become more cautious on that front (though I think you're right - it's a slower/lower risk issue). I now take meat out of the freezer either the night before, the morning of, or in some cases, just cook from frozen. If I have a larger portion, such as a roast, I thaw in the fridge for longer. Keeping in mind, depending on the day, I may cook fresh for breakfast and/or lunch as well as dinner. Otherwise I eat leftovers re-heated from frozen. Make any sense?

      Glad to hear you're off the steroids - definitely not a long-term solution. I'm just happy to be at a point where I don't feel I need them anymore.

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to let you know that I made your faux-mato sauce last week and it was delicious! I made it with spaghetti squash and lamb meatballs. SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing it!!!

      Hope things are going well and that your skin continues to heal!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear it Stacey! As a matter of fact, I've just finished prepping beets and carrots to make it with lamb for breakfast tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete