Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Low histamine faux-mato sauce

I've discovered a life changing recipe. As you can see from my blissful pre-histamine intolerance paleo diet, I love tomatoes - sauce, salsa, etc. I miss making a hearty spaghetti (squash) with meat sauce in particular. Well, I've finally tried a replacement recipe that has many versions out there - in fact, I can't seem to find where I first saw the one I worked from. Ah well.

I was surprised by how tasty (and relatively easy) this sauce turned out. If you're on a low-histamine diet, it's definitely worth checking out. Note - the measurements below are very imprecise - sorry, that's just how I roll (which is funny since I never used to consider myself a competent cook who could stray from a recipe).

I made this for Saturday morning breakfast. I'm so weird.

Ingredients

  • Ground meat (I used lamb, but will likely try beef next)
  • 1 part beets, roughly chopped
  • 2 parts carrots, roughly chopped
  • 2-3 small-medium zucchinis, spiralized into noodles (I used this dandy contraption)
  • Roasted garlic (as much as you like - is there every really too much?)
  • Fresh parsley (or any fresh herbs you like - I just happened to have parsley on the go)
  • Bit of salt to taste
  • Little bit of cooking fat to throw in with the meat (I used coconut oil if I'm remembering correctly)


 Directions

  • Steam beets and carrots until soft, drain water
  • While veggies steaming, roast garlic and cook meat in a pan, breaking it into small bits
  • Puree veggies, garlic, and herbs with an immersion blender (or food processor or blender I suppose)
  • Stir in cooked meat to form a meat sauce
  • Serve over zucchini noodles (raw, or cooked somehow - I admittedly just nuked 'em for 1 minute  in the microwave)
So I will definitely make this again. And, like so many great recipes, it's an excellent base recipe from which to play - change up the herbs/spices, add some heat, whatever you like. Enjoy!

PS - Week two summary of autoimmune protocol low histamine experiment coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment