Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The honeymoon is over

Well, it's happened. In October, I posted about the glory of the placenta, which was curing me of virtually any and all histamine-related symptoms. And now, five weeks post-partum, the eczema is back in a serious way. I recall someone tweeting me that it came back "with a vengeance" for them, so I can't say I wasn't warned.

Here's the beautiful source of my histamine hiatus :-)


Here's a confession: I intended to scale down histamine trouble foods a good month before baby's due date. Well, that turned into about three days of scaling back. In addition, I did eat some left overs during baby's first week that my wonderful mother-in-law magically put in our fridge. Last, but certainly not least, there was Christmas of course. I typically try to keep my holiday indulgence eating to Christmas Eve (which this year included popping a couple diamine oxidase supplements), so there were definitely poor choices made on Christmas Eve.

All this said, my skin is not good. And it sucks. I have, however, been managing to keep a positive attitude (with a few exceptions). Part of my getting this under control has been getting myself a copy of The Low Histamine Chef's book, The PALEO Anti-Cook Book: Antihistamine & Anti-inflammatory Recipes for Health (yes! There's a low histamine chef). I've been perusing this e-book for ideas to go beyond simply reducing histamine and seeking out more antihistamine ingredients. Now that I'm over the initial depressed feelings of "this is so complicated" / "I've never even heard of these ingredients" / "crap, I don't have a juicer", the outlook is good.

Here's how the skin was looking about a week ago (four weeks post-partum)...

Red, blotchy face is back.

This photo doesn't do justice to the condition of my right hand, but you get the idea.  In fact, it validates for me that it's now worse.
And so, the task now is to get my symptoms back under control, while eating a delicious, whole, fresh, (paleo) diet that's rich in antihistamine and anti-inflammatory foods...during the dry winter months...while caring for a new baby (spoiler - you use and wash your hands a lot).

Oh wait, I have another confession: we've been eating white potatoes. But it's totally okay, because the super awesome Liz Wolfe (Cave Girl Eats) said it was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment