Monday, March 25, 2013

Cauli-chicken risotto

Risotto is delicious. Even with cauliflower. On its own, cauliflower can be a bland. Even gross. But in fact there are many great things to be made from cauliflower, including "rice". The recipe below is based on a recipe the google told me about on Cynthia Underground. That's usually how I come up with stuff - google x + paleo and boom: endless inspiration.

So here it is, with my modifications...

Ingredients


  • 1 head cauliflower, riced
  • 1/2 to taste olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion (diced)
  • handful of fresh cilantro, diced
  • 1 C zucchini, diced (I gave it a whirl through the food processor, since it was already out for the cauliflower)
  • 1-2 C cooked chicken, cubed*
  • 1/4 C goat cheese**
  • 1/4 C canned coconut milk
  • 1/4 C chicken broth
  • Salt and pepper to taste


The ol' iPad doesn't take the best pics.

Instructions:


  • Make cauliflower “rice” using a food processor.
  • Steam or microwave rice for 5 minutes. Set aside (drain/press out any excess liquid)
  • Use a strainer if necessary to press out any addition liquid. Set Aside.
  • Sautee onion, zucchini, and cilantro in the olive in a large frying pan.
  • Add rice, salt, pepper, milk, and broth.
  • Cook until it starts to reduce, about 10 min, add goat cheese, stir.
  • Add pre-cooked chicken, stir.
*I used meat from a BBQ chicken I picked up at the grocery store the day before. In consideration of the increased histamine content from the meat being left over, I popped a diamine oxidase supplement to be safe.
**I've been indulging in (not aged/old) cheese here and there. 1) It doesn't seem to bother me; and 2) I consider it to be a reasonable consolation for my histamine intolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment