Sunday, March 24, 2013

Brussels Sprout Chips

I definitely make better vegetables now than I ever did pre-paleo. Once you embrace the (good) fat, there are some delicious things you can do with veggies. For the most part, I roast 'em in the oven with evoo with some salt and pepper. Current favourites include broccoli, parsnips, and sweet potatoes. So simple, so good.

I noticed a while back that when roasting brussels sprouts that the BEST part are the few leaves that manage to separate from their sprout. These orphan leaves become crispy and delicious. Chip-like you might say. And let's be honest - is there anyone who doesn't like the odd chip-like experience? I don't think so.

So this is hardly a recipe at all, but just a quick and easy suggestion of what to do with your brussels sprouts. The ones I cooked the other night were beautiful (though it didn't occur to me to take a pre-pic), and although they themselves were not locally grown, I did purchase them from Riverview Country Market.

I probably should have left these in a bit longer, but you get the idea.


Ingredients:

  • Brussels sprouts
  • Olive oil (or coconut oil, or whatever fat you like)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Pull leaves off sprouts
  3. Toss 'em with some oil
  4. Lay them out on a lined baking sheet (preferably allowing each his/her own space)
  5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired
  6. Bake for 10-15 minutes, watching pretty carefully after the 10 minute mark
I find that whenever making chip-like veggies (sweet potato, kale, etc.), it often pays to leave them in longer that you think (and/or want) to. This gives them more opportunity to crisp-en. For your brussels sprouts, you want to see a good number of brown/black bits before taking them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment