Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Creamy Avocado and Sausage Spaghetti

Dinner tonight was delicious. So much so, I have to post it right away. There are several recipes out there similar to this one, like here and there. When I'm looking for inspiration, I usually google a few ingredients (e.g. sausage, avocado) together with the word "paleo". Once I have the gist of how to make whatever it is, away we go.



Ingredients


  • 1/2 large spaghetti squash
  • 3-4 large sausages* (mine come from Bluefield)
  • 2 avocados
  • 1 sweet bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • Juice of 1-2 limes (I used the juice of about 5 cute little key limes)
  • 2 T guacamole spices**
  • 1/4 C almond milk (coconut milk would probably be better here, but sometimes I'm too lazy for cans)
Instructions

  • Cook the spaghetti squash in the oven or the microwave if time is limited
  • Slice up the sausage and throw it in a large pan on medium heat and cook until mostly done
  • Add sliced pepper
  • Put avocado, lime juice, milk, and guac spices in a small food processor and mix until mostly smooth
  • Add sauce to the sausage mix
  • Shred out half of the spaghetti strands and add to the pan
  • Mix well and serve
*Sausages are definitely not low histamine. But I like them. And they're convenient. So I cook 'em up every now and again when I feel my skin can take it.
**Here's a confession... I use this stuff from Epicure and it's tasty: http://www.epicureselections.com/en/products/food/seasoning-for-dips/1070/guacamole-dip-mix/

It may not look great, but it was delicious I can promise you.

Getting more use out of my noodle bowls than I ever have, ironically enough.

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome - I love avocados and sausages! I think I will try this tonight as I have leftover sausage and avocados - let you know how it goes (I'll use pasta as I don't have spaghetti squash but I did try it for the first time and it was awesome too! I did it in the crock pot:
    http://lauriecooks.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/spaghetti-squash-with-mushroom-yogurt-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My non-paleo version was great - never would have thought to make a pasta sauce from avocados!

    ReplyDelete