It's that time of year again - CrossFit PEI is holding a 30 Day Nutrition Challenge. In an effort to connect with the gang, we held a session on Paleo nutrition yesterday morning. And how could we talk about food and not try some? In my view - we couldn't. So yesterday morning I tackled the following two recipes.
|From top left corner: Banana Almond Muffins, Chicken Salad, and lettuce leaves for wraps.|
Note: These are very approximate. Also, this made a large batch. Would recommend halving ingredients for a more reasonable amount.
- 2 small BBQ chickens or 4-5 breasts
- 1/3 C sesame seeds
- A sprinkle of raisins
- 1/2 large apple, shredded
- Celery 2-3 stalks diced
- 3/4 C mayo (I used Hellman's Olive Oil mayo, but if you're really good you could make your own)
- 1 T mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice chicken and celery.
- Shred the apple.
- Throw all ingredients except mayo and mustard in a large bowl, mix gently.
- Mix mayo and mustard in a small bowl, then add to the rest of the ingredients, mixing well.
- Shake salt and/or pepper to taste (note - I forgot this part in yesterday's salad)
- Serve in lettuce leaves, cabbage leaves, or just with a spoon.
The muffin recipe I adapted from possibly my very favourite blogger, PaleOMG. This broad is HILARIOUS. Shout out to Jaymee Chung for the great find.
BANANA ALMOND MUFFINS
- 1 C almond butter
- 1 C almond meal/almond flour
- 1 large banana, mashed*
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Unsweetended Shredded Coconut
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of cinnamon
*We (i.e. Molly) don't always eat our bananas in time. When they start to get tired, I peel, saran wrap 'em, and toss them in the freezer. Frozen bananas are perfect for using in recipes. Just thaw them out in the microwave.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl in a logical order, starting with your eggs.
- Place ingredients into a well greased muffin tin (I used a mini muffin tin and had enough left for one large muffin. Both delicious.). Or you can use muffin tin liners.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, remove from tin and enjoy.