Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Drinking low histamine

I'm not a big drinker, especially since having Molly-Pop, but I'm also the first to acknowledge how great it is to enjoy a cold one on a hot day. Post-paleo, any beer I used to drink became (usually red) wine. With the added histamine element, beer and wine are, at best, a poor choice (as my wine-filled Canada Day Weekend week-and-a-half eczema recovery would suggest).

The other weekend I made myself a few "NorCal Margaritas." My understanding is these are a Robb Wolf creation, though I'm not certain the origin. They're pretty simple:



  • 2 Shots Tequila
  • The Juice and Pulp of One Lime
  • Club Soda to Taste
  • Served over ice
Full disclosure - I found this image here: http://evolvedcampfire.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/norcal-margarita/


Here's the kicker: y'know how - even if you only have a couple drinks - you can tell the morning after that you were drinking the night before? Even if you're not hungover, you can just feel it. Well, after three margaritas, I had not one trace of morning-after-ick. In fact, I felt pretty clean. Now, (provided I can resist reliving the ill-advised, way-too-potent-self-drink-mixing of my youth) I'd say I have a new drink of choice.

Cheers to having fun and feeling good (the next day)!

PS - These drinks are so popular, there's even a new site dedicated to 'em.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I am beginning my journey of low histamine eating and I was curious if you have read anything about the GAPS diet? I am following this diet to heal and seal my gut lining which is the ultimate cause of histamine intolerance. A blogger helped herself and children overcome histamine intolerance by following the GAPS diet-her blog is here: http://roosclues.blogspot.com/2010/03/low-histamine-diet.html

    I am following GAPS,while also adding the layer of low histamine eating. I am starting the elimination diet tomorrow to find my triggers to hopefully help my chronic sinus problems while GAPS heals up my stomach.

    Thanks for chronicling your journey-it is truly helpful for others dealing with the same issues. Good luck with your continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read much about the GAPS diet to be honest. I have seen the Roo's Clues blog, it's excellent. How have the diet changes helped you so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolcetto D'Alba and Barbera D'Alba wines are VERY low in histamine... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete