Sunday, May 27, 2012

Egg and Pepperoni Casserole


Molly and I had a brunch play date this morning,  brunch over lunch due in large part to the need to squeeze a nap in before gymnastics (our world revolves around sleep - by which I mean getting enough of it, and at the right times). Usually when we have folks over for breakfast I'll do the simple waffles from the Food Lover's Primal Palate, fruit, bacon, sausages, etc. Today, that felt like more effort than I was up for. With the fridge stocked in eggs, we googled "egg casserole paleo" and discovered some tips on how to make such a dish. This recipe is loosely based on this Paleo Pepper & Onion Egg Breakfast Casserole.


Ingredients:

  • 8 inches or so of pepperoni, sliced (mine was from Bluefield Meat Shop*)
  • 1-2 diced shallots
  • 1 small bunch of broccoli
  • 1 medium red pepper
  • 8-10 asparagus spears
  • 12-18 good quality eggs
  • 1 large handful of shredded mozzarella cheese (optional - I know it's not strictly paleo, but it seems to agree reasonably well with me and really helps tie the casserole together.)
  • 1-2 T coconut oil for cooking the meat and veggies

*Bluefield gave me a FREE beef heart the other day! I love it there.

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350•
  2. In a pan, heat coconut oil for a minute or so and throw in shallots.
  3. Next, add sliced pepperoni and cook that up for a bit
  4. Add veggies to the mixture, let cook on low-medium covered for about 10-15 minutes, or until mostly (but not entirely) "done"
  5. Dump meat and veggie mixture into 9×13 glass baking dish
  6. Crack eggs into medium mixing bowl and use electric mixer to whisk so they are light and fluffy 
  7. Pour well-whisked eggs over meat and veggie mixture. 
  8. Cook in preheated 350• oven for roughly 20 minutes, remove to sprinkle cheese over top
  9. Return to oven for another 20 minutes
  10. Let cool for a few minutes, slice and serve (I had it with sliced avocado and salsa, which I can't seem to get myself off of these days)


It can be a bit puffy when first out of the oven, but calms down pretty quickly.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment