Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The glory of shredded meat

This is not the first time I've voiced my enjoyment of shredded food. In this vein, I have a great, versatile, recipe to pass along that I found on Fast Paleo. I've now tried this recipe with chicken, pork and beef. All delicious. All simple. This is one of those what I would call, base recipes, in that your options are endless. You start with some hot sauce, into which you throw whatever other spices/flavours you like. And because I didn't necessarily have all of the listed ingredients, I adapted from the start.

Warning: Shredding meat is not easy. I think this morning's push jerks were easier on the shoulders than hovering over a hot slow cooker with two forks ripping meat apart. The chicken breasts were easier than the been-in-the-freezer-too-long steaks. But it is definitely worth it.

Been slow on the food pics lately, but I do have this pic  of tonight's oxtail. I wasn't fussy, but Molly-Pop devoured it - three helpings!


Below is (very) approximately what I did with it. With a recipe this simple, measuring really isn't necessary.

Ingredients

  • 5 frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tsp garlic powder 
  • 1 T dehydrated onion bits
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • 1/2 t dried thyme
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 C Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Instructions

  1. Place frozen chicken breasts into the slow cooker. 
  2. Mix together all remaining ingredients in a bowl. 
  3. Pour sauce over frozen chicken breasts and turn to low. 
  4. Cook for about 5 hours. 
  5. Using two forks or tongs, shred chicken. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't resist commenting---SJ and I are fans of pulled pork and barbacoa. I find if you cook it longer (10-12 hours for a full pot), it gets more tender and much easier to shred. I also swear by pork shoulder slow cooked with some liquid smoke, nothing else. Sometimes, we eat it as is or with a bbq sauce. Chomp-o-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use your Kitchen Aid or a hand mixer to shred your chicken. This little trick saved me! Thanks for the recipe. I am trying this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting suggestion... Though I fear the meat would be too much for them to handle, no?

    ReplyDelete