Soon-to-be 17-month-old Molly is already starting to notice that all the other kiddies at daycare are eating Cheerios and the like - and she wants some. I broke down the other day and picked up some Whole O's, a gluten-free organic alternative to Cheerios. She has a box at daycare now, so she doesn't try to strong arm the other kids out of their gluten-y snacks.
Although I'd prefer Molly stick to her assorted paleo-friendly snacks, I've decided to give a little here and there. I know she eats very well overall and I'm not going to let the odd handful of O's get me too down. However, this has encouraged me to start expanding my paleo food/snack repertoire with Molly in mind. And so, I discovered a good-looking muffin recipe by Paleoiscious. I simply swapped out the honey for applesauce and voila. I also meant to add some ground flaxseeds, but forgot. Next time.
|Heading to the oven.|
- 3 C almond meal
- 4 eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 3 T lemon juice
- 2 C blueberries
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- 1 t baking soda
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the vanilla extract, applesauce, lemon juice and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Add the almond meal and baking soda and mix well.
- Add the blueberries and mix gently.
- Bake in mini muffin pans for approx. 20 mins at 350 degrees. Longer if making full size muffins (check with a toothpick).
Made 24 mini muffins.