Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mini Molly Blueberry Muffins

Soon-to-be 17-month-old Molly is already starting to notice that all the other kiddies at daycare are eating Cheerios and the like - and she wants some. I broke down the other day and picked up some Whole O's, a gluten-free organic alternative to Cheerios. She has a box at daycare now, so she doesn't try to strong arm the other kids out of their gluten-y snacks.

Although I'd prefer Molly stick to her assorted paleo-friendly snacks, I've decided to give a little here and there. I know she eats very well overall and I'm not going to let the odd handful of O's get me too down. However, this has encouraged me to start expanding my paleo food/snack repertoire with Molly in mind. And so, I discovered a good-looking muffin recipe by Paleoiscious. I simply swapped out the honey for applesauce and voila. I also meant to add some ground flaxseeds, but forgot. Next time.


Heading to the oven.


 Ingredients
  • 3 C almond meal
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 t vanilla extract 
  • 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 T lemon juice
  • 2 C blueberries
  • 1/3 C coconut oil
  • 1 t baking soda
Instructions
  • Beat the eggs in a bowl with the vanilla extract, applesauce, lemon juice and coconut oil. Mix well. 
  • Add the almond meal and baking soda and mix well. 
  • Add the blueberries and mix gently. 
  • Bake in mini muffin pans for approx. 20 mins at 350 degrees. Longer if making full size muffins (check with a toothpick).

Made 24 mini muffins.

I could've filled the tray a little less and made more muffins.

5 comments:

  1. Just put them in the oven. Very excited to find this recipe. My son is type 1 diabetic and I am always looking for a good recipe. It's hard to find a paleo recipe without sugar (honey, palm sugar, etc...). I'm so glad to find one with applesauce. He is 7 and sometimes he wants something baked. Don't we all? These are perfect for breakfast. Maybe even one in his lunchbox for school. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again. Just wanted to add that these are AWESOME! All the kiddos loved them. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad they worked for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anything I can use in place of the almond meal? I am allergic to nuts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I often see sesame seed butter as an almond butter replacement, but that doesn't help you. Here's a nut-free apple muffin recipe from PaleOMG (she is awesome) that you might be able to work with: http://paleomg.com/apple-cinnamon-muffins-nut-free/

      Delete