Thursday, October 27, 2011

Enough is enough

After a few recent skin flare-ups, I've decided to dial the low histamine thing up a notch. Although I admit the low histamine diet has improved my skin overall, I still can't help but feel my skin should be better than it is. This is very frustrating.

So, I've decided to commit to my own short list of foods that I will eat - and only eat - for the next 30 days. A more extreme Whole30 of sorts. Despite being quite disciplined with my eating (if I do say so), I have been turning to a few "treats" of late. These "extras" include cottage cheese, nuts, Jennie's Macaroons, and sweet potato chips. None of these things are actually in the histamine no-go category, but I have reason to wonder if they aren't hampering my progress.

And so, as of Saturday, October 22, I am only eating from the following list of foods. That's it. Nothing else. No exceptions. (I have to do it, since I've now declared it to the Internet.)

FOOD LIST

Protein 

  • Beef
  • Chicken (less so)
  • Pork
  • Eggs (2 max/day) 


Fat

  • Coconut oil/milk/flakes
  • Olive oil
  • Butter


Carbs

  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Sweet potato
  • Turnip
  • Zucchini
  • Carrots 
  • Parsnips
  • Asparagus
  • Apples

Note: Other veggies permitted, except known histamine-generators (spinach, pumpkin, eggplant, tomato in all its delicious forms, sauerkraut)

Other

  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Ground cilantro

On day three of hard-core low histamine, I was greeted with a fairly severe morning flare -up. I have reason to believe it may have been stress induced.

So I'm keeping a record of my skin condition, as well as a food log (which is comprised of the foods listed see above).  I'll update here as often as manageable, including pictures, my food log perhaps and my overall progress. My hope is that after 30 days of (*sigh* even more) strictly eating a low histamine diet I'll have eliminated virtually all of the eczema. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, now don't jump all over me for saying this but...have you ever considered that the whole thing is a possible trigger or doesn't agree with you? Did you have bad eczema flare ups before paleo?
    Just wondering if you've considered the possibility of perhaps not taking yet more food away from your list but adding a couple. Sometimes skin conditions are the result of a deficiency rather than an excess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!!! I've been stalking your blog. I've been eating Paleo and have had eczema on my right ear for at least the last 10yrs. It's gotten better with being grain-free but it does flare up sometimes, I'm trying to see if there's a pattern here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat- although I had eczema years ago, this definitely started due to going paleo http://paleothoughts.blogspot.com/2011/07/skin-update-15-days-no-almonds.html

    You have a valid point. After these 30 days are over, I really may consider re-introducing certain grains. The problem is, I suspect I've now opened pandora's box so-to-speak. I've overflowed my histamine limit and simply going back to the way I ate before likely wouldn't do the trick.

    I had some blood work recently and will be meeting with my Naturopath to look at the results on Monday - hopefully that will reveal something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jocelyn - I'm glad your eczema seems to be going away with paleo. I think thats more often the case certainly than what I'm facing... But you should be careful, it can creep up quickly! If histamine is an issue in your case (probably not, but who knows), the paleo diet can be tricky - VERY high in histamine. Happy to exchange eczema notes anytime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    My husband and I have come across your blog and are SO thankful! The past 4 months I have been struggling with severe hives everywhere and digestive issues (ie bloating etc.) and have no answers. Things have gotten very bad the past month and a half, where I'm becoming frighteningly close to anaphylactic shock and have been prescribed an Epi Pen just in case. I had an allergy test a few days ago that came back negative for everything and so I can only assume that we're dealing with a histamine intolerance, rather than an allergy.
    I just wanted to first, thank you so much for writing this blog, and secondly ask you about the DAO supplements and any other information you can give about a low histamine diet? Also, would you recommend seeing a nutritionist or dietitian?

    Thank you again, so so much.
    - Jade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jade - I'm so sorry, I've just realized I never responded to your post! The two supplements I've tried are Histame (http://histame.com/) and DAOsin (http://www.eat-all.com/histamine-intolerance/). This said, diet is the key of course, far more effective than any capsule. I saw a naturopath for a while when I was trying to figure it all out, and it wasn't all that helpful (I discovered it was histamine during this time and she'd never heard of it). It's probably worth checking with a dietition. My mom (who is the one in our family to crack the histamine code) is a dietition in Canada and they seem to be more aware than they once were of the intolerance. The key would be finding one who is at least already aware of histamine intolerance, so they can be helpful.

    How are you doing these days?

    ReplyDelete