Saturday, September 10, 2011

Oh-megas....

Since going low histamine over a month ago, my eczema has been steadily improving. Or, it had been. Over the last week or two, progress seemed to reverse and I developed additional rash inside my elbow, coupled with a few flare-ups.

At my wits end, I considered my diet of late. It's been very good - lots of animal protein and vegetables, minimal fruit, nuts and nut butters, coconut and olive oils. All paleo and no high histamine foods. So I came to a bit of a theory, based on the following considerations:

  • Due to its histamine, I was no longer taking fish oil
  • Likewise, no fish or seafood of any kind
  • I was probably eating too many nuts

My theory is that an omega 3-6 fatty acid imbalance was causing my recent inflammation = eczema. Coincidentally, I've been reading Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution, which also speaks to this common imbalance and its impact on the body. So this past week or so I've cut back on the nuts/nut butters and started taking omega 3 oil daily (which was prescribed by my naturopath a few weeks back, but I hadn't gotten around to taking it yet). Here's the result:
Ignore the bed head.

Ah, that's better (not the hair).


So on the upside, my skin is continuing in the right direction and hopefully soon I will be all cleared up. Also on the positive is how interesting it is to be so much more in tune with my body and how I react to food. On the downside, balancing omegas is yet another layer of complexity to my current diet. I'm better for it, but I sure do miss the oh-so-simple days of regular 'ol paleo eating. I miss avocado, bacon, tomatoes in all their delicious forms, chocolate (cocoa), condiments of all sorts, etc. but evidently, I'm better off without them. In the grand scheme, a small price to pay.

1 comment: