Monday, August 15, 2011

Skin Update - 3 Weeks Low Histamine

On June 24 I realized that almonds were not the answer for my eczema issues, rather a suspected histamine intolerance. I'm delighted to report that I'm on to something. For the past three weeks or so, I've limited my diet to mostly the following foods (with the odd exception):

  • Beef
  • Pork
  • Sweet potato
  • Turnip
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cauliflower
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Olive oil
  • Salad greens (no spinach)
  • Eggs (only the past few days)


After 2-3 weeks low histamine.

    Before: Ouch, so much histamine...

After: Freeing myself of excess histamine (taken Aug. 13).
As I get my skin under control, I hope to be able to slowly relax my histamine restrictions. Perhaps someday I'll once again enjoy the deliciousness of Bluefield Meat Shop bacon. I do consider myself extremely lucky to have figured this out before my whole body was covered in rash.

Any takers on the paleo spaghetti leftovers in my freezer??

2 comments:

  1. How has this diet continued to work for you? I found you while searching mac nuts and histamines... I dont eat a lot either but would like to hold onto these tasty little bites. I also realize I need to curb the bacon--even if it's nitrate free...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that, with the exception of periodic overflows due to various factors (such as Christmas), my eczema is quite manageable at this point. I think the key is going strict LH for a solid stretch, until you're more or less recovered. Once you've emptied your 'bucket', you can get away with the odd additions to your daily diet. For example, I now eat avocados whenever I feel so inclined. No biggie. I tend to go in cycles...test my skin to the point of irritation that I'm not okay with, scale back, skin improves, inch back into problematic foods, skin reacts, gets to a point I can't take it, scale back, etc. etc.

    If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the nuts, but listen to your body of course. Oh, and with respect to bacon - I honestly try not to let myself think about it! It's too painful ;-)

    ReplyDelete