Sunday, August 21, 2011

Feeding Baby



Since starting paleo, I've had a real increased interest in cooking. Another factor in my recent kitchen habit is preparing food for Molly-Pop. I love making her food from scratch for a number of reasons: I know what's in it; it's healthy; it's (mostly) paleo; she gets a great balance of macronutrients in every bite; it helps offset some of my "working mom" guilt; plus I have a theory it's part of the reason she's such a fantastic little eater. Too many little ones "won't eat anything but toast and pasta." As God as my witness, this will not be Molly Brown.


So, here's how Molly's food prep generally goes down... I take a large pot and throw in a bunch of veggies, whatever I have on hand. I try to make the base something orange and sweet, like squash, carrots or sweet potato. Other common veggies I turn to include broccoli (I always include something green), kale, spinach, cauliflower, and peas. I steam the veggies until good and soft (adding greens later in the process, as they don't require much time). Meanwhile, I'll poach some good quality (local, organic, grass-fed if possible) beef, chicken or pork.



Once the veggies and meat are cooked I pull out my handy stick blender. I cut the meat into smaller pieces, throw it in with the veggies and add a good bit of canned coconut milk. The coconut milk is not only an excellent source of added fat, but it helps give the mixture a nice creamy consistency and flavour. I let the hand blender have at it until it's well mixed.
Molly's 14 months old and can certainly handle eating whole foods with her own two hands. However, she's still quite agreeable to being spoon-fed her meals by us (though I fear the end of this is near). I'm still doing purées for her for a few reasons: we worry less about choking; every mouthful is balanced, she can't just pick out the stuff she likes best; and she eats more than if left to her own devices.



No comments:

Post a Comment