Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sarah's Paleo Hash

Oddly, I've discovered that I like when food is somewhat pre-chewed. Not literally pre-chewed by someone else (that's disgusting), but diced up so it's easier to chew. Maybe it's laziness, maybe it's the way all the flavours combine in each and every mouthful. Wait, maybe it's keeping dirty dishes to a minimum...

Anyhow, the other night I made a hash of sorts (I'm open to better name suggestions) using some organic, local, lean ground beef and bacon (which makes everything better) and an assortment of veggies I had on hand looking to be used.
Mmmm, meat.
I'll point out here that I used my new, super-duper Cuisinart food processor for all of my veggie prep here. I'd include more details about said processor, but I'm embarrassed by how much I spent on it. Though I did score 20% off (and needed it).

On to the recipe (Note - these quantities are very much approximate, it's a flexible recipe.)


  • Some bacon (I used a whole package, but I think what I get in a package from Bluefield Meat Shop is smaller than a package you'd get at the grocery store)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 large sweet potato, grated
  • 3-4 handfuls of baby carrots, grated
  • 1 medium zucchini, grated
  • Any other grate-able veggies you can come up with
Start by cooking your bacon in a large pan over medium heat. Once the bacon is mostly cooked, throw in your beef and cook until most of the pink is mostly gone. From here, throw your veggies on top and cover for about five minutes. Uncover, give it a stir and if it seems ready (i.e. everything's cooked), go ahead and dish up.
And done.

Other benefits of this recipe: easy to substitute ingredients to your taste, easy to make, easy to keep for leftovers or to freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment